Content Management Systems (CMS)
Content Management System is a program or an information system used for content management of the site. It provides the ability of simple creation and edition of the content, access to diverse sources of information, easy interaction between project staff and the databases, and information for data reusability.
Content management system uses such types of data as documents, photos, movies, phone numbers, and any others. This system is often used for easy-to-use storage, control, viewing and sharing of the documents.
The choice of CMS
You should consider the ease of working of the engine of the site (CMS) when you choosing it. The system should have simple control.
- There should be no superfluous functionality.
- The main menu of the program should be not overloaded.
- Availability to group form fields and to expand or hide some fields.
- A simple and intuitive interface which should be well documented.
- Different types of data.
Advantages of CMS, based on PHP and MySQL:
- All hosting companies provide PHP and MySQL support.
- Work with PHP and MySQL is tempered; the system allows the minimum number of failures.
- Free downloading and installation.
- This CMS is running with any version of Unix or Windows on most servers.
- PHP-programmers to maintain the site.
Drupal is a free and open source CMS written in PHP. It uses MySQL or PostgreSQL database. You can use Drupal for work with different types of sites, from blogs or news sites to social networks or data archives. Drupal architecture is modular with a compact API kernel. The functionality of the system can be increased by connecting additional extensions, such as modules.
Functions of a standard set of Drupal modules:
- general categorization (taxonomy) of different types of content: from the posts on the forums to news and blogs;
- a wide range of rubricator properties: flat and hierarchical lists, related categories and synonyms;
- any depth of hierarchies;
- different access rights to the material;
- Dynamic menu;
- different ways to search the contents of the site;
- XML formats support
- RDF / RSS documents;
- insertion of materials from other sites;
- using BlogAPI for materials placement by means of external applications;
- OpenID authentication;
- symbolic URL which people can understand;
- site interface translation into multiple languages, multilingual content support;
- creation of sites with content that may overlap (the general user base or the general settings);
- multisiting - separate configurations of different virtual hosts, individual selection of modules and skins for subsites.
Drupal CMS supports interface in more than 100 languages. You can arrange a flexible scheme of the site in Drupal. Taxonomy is a mechanism that allows you to create any number of thematic categories of site content, link them with the modules for the input and output of information. Categories can be represented by different lists or complex structures. This scheme helps to organize different variants of structuring the content by the instrumentality of the same modules.
There is complete Drupal documentation on various aspects of the system.
The system has a minimal set of tools for developing Web sites. They can be supplemented with others if you want. The main advantage is its convenience (the administrative panel is not overloaded). The developers also tried to reduce server load and save space on the hosting.
Joomla! displays the interfaces of administrative and front part in any language. There are extensions of the language packs. Packs in Ukrainian, Russian and other languages of the CIS countries are available now.
Functionality of the Joomla! CMS:
- You can increase the functionality by means of additional extensions (modules, components, plug-ins).
- There is a template system of site interface. It is possible to create your own unique look.
- Multi-level authentication of users and administrators by the means of the security module.
- You can set up a scheme of blocks location. The content of the module can be included in the content of the material.
- All templates, modules, components and plug-ins can be written by yourself and you can put them in a directory of extensions. You can also edit the existing extension.
- There is the possibility to create keywords and descriptions for any dynamic page to improve rankings in search engines.
- You can program the start and the end of the material publication.
- It is possible to restrict access to certain sections of the site. Only registered users may have access.
- Setting up a scheme of the elements on the page template fields.
- Using modules (counter, the latest news, statistics of visits, forum, guestbook, etc.).
- Availability of simultaneously installation and controlling multiple extensions (combined in one installation package). Automatic updating of installed extensions (if the developer uses this mechanism).
- The hierarchy of objects.
Creating multiple forms of feedback for a single contact.
- The module which allows receiving articles, news and links from the remote authors.
- Using the newsletter manager. It supports a variety of newsletter services.
- TinyMCE is a built-in visual editor.
- Character URL, which people can understand.
- A large number of ready components and modules.